The College’s mission is to be the provider of choice for financial education by enabling student learning at a profit, and offering technologically advanced education programs and quality support services to working adults in the financial services industry. Our typical student will offer financial counseling and related services, or implement financial recommendations pertaining to Insurance, Investments, Tax, Retirement, and/or Estate planning.
The College provides learning opportunities to people in all geographic areas through comprehensive programs of study that lead to licensing or certification through individual courses, graduate-level study, and continuing professional development. Learning methods include independent study, blended and mentored study, and classroom instruction, as well as seminars, workshops, and conferences.
- The College was founded in 1972 to formalize the financial planning profession via the CFP® Certification, which is now the nation’s premier financial planning credential.
- To provide assistance to financial support staff members, the Foundations in Financial PlanningSM program and Registered Paraplanner® designation were created in 1984.
- In 1985 the College and the CFP Board of Standards Inc. became separate entities, with the College providing education and the CFP Board of Standards supporting the CFP® certification itself.
- The College’s introduced an Advanced Studies program in 1987, which later became our accredited Master of Science Program in 1994.
- The AAMS® and CMFC® designation programs were created in 1994 and 1995 as part of a partnership with the Investment Company Institute (ICI).
- In 1997 the College purchased the American Institute of Retirement Planners and developed the CRPC® and CRPS® programs.
- The College was purchased by Apollo Group, Inc. in the fall of 1997.
- Our original website launched in 1998 and was the first of its kind.
- The College launched an all-new Master of Science Program in Financial Analysis in early 2003.
- In the fall of 2003, the College introduced the financial industry’s first live online classes.
- The College introduced the AWMA® designation in early 2005.
- In 2007 the College launched an alumni association to celebrate its 100,000 graduate.
- The College launched a MS in Finance in the summer of 2007.
- The ADPA® and APMA® designations were introduced in the fall of 2010.
- In February of 2014 the College announced a partnership with ExamFX to provide training for the FINRA Series 63, 6, 65, 66, 7, 24, and 26 license exams.
Courses are designed based on the skills and knowledge necessary for competent practice. Measurable learning objectives have been developed, classified, and incorporated into the study materials to foster mastery of them.
Maintaining our high standards dictates that instructors carefully select, create, and standardize the instructional materials. Most courses are self-contained learning experiences. The College currently implements its learning model by providing printed study materials, Web-based resources, and instructor support. After completing the required studies, students are given a final examination with formal performance feedback.
All of the College’s programs are taught and supported in English only. By acknowledging your acceptance of the College’s terms and conditions, you also acknowledge sufficient mastery of English to be successful in an academic program.
Student Graduation/Test Pass Rate Statistics
These pages cover information on our test pass rate and graduation rates specific to each of our professional education programs.
The College for Financial Planning, Inc., is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA).
The College for Financial Planning has been authorized by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) to offer instruction for and to grant the Master of Science (MS) and Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degrees.
The CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Certification Professional Education Program is registered with the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., and satisfies the educational requirement for CFP® certification.
State & National Regulation
The North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) and numerous states have recently enacted regulations or legislation dealing with the use of “senior” designations used by financial planning practitioners. The purpose of these rules has been to separate designations that have credible requirements and academic rigor from those that have less stringent or no requirements.
The College for Financial Planning supports these actions on the part of regulators and legislators. We are proud to state that based upon the College for Financial Planning’s status as a regionally-accredited institution of higher education, all designations earned at the College are either approved, exempt, or receive preferential treatment in all the regulations and legislation thus far enacted at the state and national levels (Note: the MPAS® designation is currently awaiting review in Nebraska and the Chartered Retirement Planning CounselorSM and Chartered Retirement Plans SpecialistSM designations may not be used in conjunction with selling insurance products to senior citizens in California.). Regional accreditation is considered the gold standard for higher education accreditation, and the College is proud of such accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The College for Financial Planning is registered with the Maryland Higher Education Commission and is approved to offer online courses. Student complaints should be sent to: Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul St., Baltimore, MD 21202, 410-528-8662, 888-743-0823.
Continuing Education Credit
Completing the College’s education programs may help meet the firm element of the securities industry’s CE requirements. College programs may fulfill the continuing education (CE) requirements of the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc.
Military Friendly School
The College is a 2014-2015 Military Friendly School. Details on our Military benefits can be found at http://www.cffpinfo.com/military.
Military Scholarship information can be found here http://www.cffpinfo.com/scholarships.